Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Of human bondage

I have read this story twenty years or so back for the first time. It was a little dull for me at the first go. But after finishing it I realized it was one of the best novels I have ever read. Then I repeated it and became confident that it’s the best novel I have read. Its still my favourite novel, of course there are half a dozen more in the same pedestal with it but none is above it.

 

I have learnt so much from this one novel, I too am a dreamer just like the hero of this novel. And just like him, I too have wasted a portion of my life pursuing a passion, an ambition which fell flat on its face due to lack of wind beneath my wings. But I have not faced the remaining tests faced by him because I fortunately had more control on my passions.

 

The hero is an orphan, who is brought up by his nonchalant uncle and aunt. A life without any one to guide him. To tell him what is wrong or right. The paths that he followed and their consequences. The lessons which we can learn from him are priceless.

 

I loved three lessons which I received from him, first, to know when to say goodbye to one’s passion, even if it is greatest passion of one’s life. He thought he was a talented painter so he stopped studying medical and went to Paris to become a painter, he was exploited amply by greedy tutors but finally he realized that he does not have the talent and went back to pursue his studies.

 

Second one was the cruelty which he had to face through out his life because one of his feet was defected. That taught me to practice kindness for those who are not blessed with a healthy body.

 

The third one was the greatest one, he fell in the clutches of an evil and cunning woman who shamelessly exploited him for years. But finally he settled down with a very nice girl. who did not had any physical charm but had a heart of gold. We all should learn from him that one sided love with a fiend will only shove you to hell, again and again, till the day you end that affection.

 

Fourth and final lesson was we can make our life a success even if we fall a hundred times in the path to success.

 

Finally I will suggest every one to read this book at-least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment