Sunday, January 3, 2010

Maupassant


I have always admired Maupassant, ever since I read his story “The necklace” in my early childhood (translation).

I was gifted a compilation of his short stories a decade ago and have been reading it since then, I believe I have already read it more than a dozen times, finished it a fortnight back and am eager to start it all over again.

My admiration for him has shot up ever since I have started to write myself. I don’t call myself a writer, I just love to write. M y only alibi is its better to write something than watch movies to kill time. It keeps the brain active and improves one’s linguistic expertise.

Back to Maupassant, if any one asks me to crown my favourite short story writer, I will simply place my crown at his feet. He is a magician. With limited words he can stir any soul which is open. Make them a better person.

The more I read his works the more I become mesmerized, how easily and expertly he touches the very soul and illuminates them.

His stories are full of human compassion (not for very conservative persons, I should humbly warn).

No comments:

Post a Comment